Rialto Unified School District has very qualified full-time school nurses. School nurses are Registered Nurses with Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees who have completed, or are currently enrolled in, advanced practice certification programs in school nursing. All school nurses carry pagers or cell phones so that they can be contacted immediately in case of emergency. In addition, each school site has a health clerk trained in First Aid and CPR.
School nurses provide the following services:
- Vision, hearing, scoliosis, dental, and growth screening
- Home visits for health related problems
- Liaison between school, family, and medical providers
- Communicable disease assessment
- Emergency care
- Specialized health care such as insulin injections, catheterization, gastrostomy feeding, suctioning, etc.
- Medication administration, supervision and training of para professional
- Classroom observations
- Health teaching and counseling
- Designated TB and immunization clinics
- Health care referrals
- Supervision and management of chronic problems in the school setting such as asthma, diabetes, seizures, cerebral palsey, muscular dystrophy and attention deficit hyperactive disorder
- Participating in Indisciplinary Educational Plan meetings
- Training and inservicing staff about health-related issues
- Maintaining compliance with state guidelines for immunizations, physical examinations, screening programs, and communicable disease management
For further information, please contact Health Services or your individual school nurse through the school site.